Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Oscar Review

Today I decided to write about my Oscar experience.  I went to my usual Oscar party at my friend Robert's house. No snow will stop me from doing that.  I must watch the show with fellow nerds who enjoy them just as much as the Super Bowl.  My first hiccup was getting up my parent's street with the sleet-snow mix that was falling.  I managed to get the large Pat Diesel and myself up the road in my tiny little Hyundai Accent that I purchased way back in 2002 and still running strong.  I bought it my senior year of high school and it is still running like it's brand new.  The tires are super bad in the snow though so it definitely struggled to get up the hill.  Once we got on the road and headed to the show, the ride was smooth as a baby's bottom as most people were staying off the road.



The journey to the Oscar's was actually more entertaining than the show itself. As most of you know, Ellen hosted and the monologue was stale except for her making fun of Liza Minelli and her looking like a man, but isn't that kind of ironic because Ellen dresses and looks like a boy to an extent, but that's just me? Jared Leto took home the first award of the night for Best Supporting Actor in Dallas Buyers Club, which was an amazing movie.  He was the favorite to win and did take home the award. If you play either a gay person or an AIDS patient you are almost guaranteed to win an Academy Award and Jared played both in his role.  All he was missing was playing a Holocaust victim with a mental disability and he would have been 100% guaranteed victory. You can see Jared (who I loved in Requiem for a Dream and also Dallas Buyers Club) below with his almost womanlike hair.  Those can not be natural highlights.


After they gave out best supporting the Oscar's kind of dragged giving away a lot of technical awards.  Ellen didn't have me laughing but I did like how she kept it loose.  I didn't think ordering pizza was funny but I did find it clever because we got to watch who was interested in pounding a few slices and didn't worry about getting grease on their outfits or gaining a pound or two.  I have gained more respect for Brad Pitt after he cared about no cameras and shoved a piece of pizza into his mouth.


Ellen also took a selfie which she was trying to break a Kardashian record for most ever retweets on Twitter.  It was originally going to be Meryl Streep and Ellen and a bunch of stars joined in to make it an awesome photo.  I actually was able to take the old Accent down to the awards and get in the picture as you can see below.


In all seriousness that wasn't me with the megastars in this photo but Best Supporting Actress winner Lupita Nyong'o's brother. If that was me, it would be my profile picture for life because he will never be in a photo with that much talent again.  I mean Jennifer Lawrence, Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Kevin Spacey, Jared Leto, Ellen (eh), Channing Tatum, and your sister... WOW!  Well anyway, it is weird seeing me with that skinny body with still my huge damn head.  I look like a bobble head. Sorry Angelina for blocking your massive lips.  I guess that's saying something if my head can cover up those huge things. P.S. Brad Pitt needs a new hair style.  Who does he think he is? Macklemore or Adolf Hitler? Either way it's super lame.

I must say with the main awards there were no real surprises. I actually correctly predicted the top 8 awards anyone cares about: Best Picture (12 Years a Slave), Best Director (Alfonso Cuaron- for Gravity), Best Actor (My home boy Matt McConaughey - for Dallas Buyers Club. He did an amazing job in that role and I would have been furious if he didn't win like when I was severely disappointed when Mickey Rourke got screwed when he should've won for the Wrestler), Best Supporting Actor (Jared Leto- for Dallas Buyers Club as stated before), Best Actress (Cate Blanchett - for Blue Jasmine which I haven't seen), Best Supporting Actress (Lupita Nyong'o - for 12 Years a Slave which I stated earlier), Best Adapted Screenplay (12 Years a Slave), and Best Original Screenplay (Her).  I actually watched all of the Best Picture nominees except Philomena and I thought 12 Years A Slave deserved Best Picture.  It was very well done and the directing was outstanding by Steve McQueen.


I also want to say Alfonso Cuaron deserved Best Director. I went into Gravity with low expectations and it kept me entertained the entire movie. The visual effects are amazing and Sandra Bullock actually had me intrigued when I normally see her as an overrated actress.  It also killed on technical awards, winning the most Oscar's overall, while American Hustle and Wolf of Wall Street were both snubbed and won 0 awards between them.



 I mean Great Gatsby even won two awards.  Leo still hasn't won an Oscar and honestly he didn't deserve it The Wolf of Wall Street.  He was much better in some of his other roles.  I think he will win in his career as I believe for the most part he continues to get better as an actor.  McConaughey deserved it too, and his speech was touching and I loved how he ended it with the classic line from his first role in Dazed and Confused, "alright alright alright."  He was the romantic comedy king there for a while but whenever he was in good movies he honestly did well from Amistad to the Lincoln Lawyer.  I am proud of him and I am glad he won.  He is styling in the white tux too! Brings me back to my prom days.


Overall, I don't think there were any screw jobs or anything.  I think everyone who was deserving won.  Many of the movies from this year have made my top 231 movies ever which is a list I am still working on and subject to change. I have been trying to list my top 500 movies of all time.  I have also decided to work on a new screenplay.  I haven't written one in four years and I am excited to try it out again.


THE TOP 231 (so far)

If you can't read that tiny font, goto Best Movies of all Time by David on FilmCrave.

Winner of the Day: 12 Years a Slave.  Best Picture is the most coveted award at the Academy Awards and this one was much deserving winning the award.  I rank in this order (of the ones I've seen)
1. 12 Years a Slave
2. Dallas Buyers Club
3. Her
4. American Hustle
5. Gravity
6. Nebraska
7. Wolf of Wall Street
8. Captain Phillips

Loser of the Day: Leo Dicaprio.  He still hasn't won an Oscar.  Now nor should he but I saw this on Facebook today and he's the only good actor of these so why does this exist?  Don't put him with these actors.  That is silly.

Quote of the Day: 'Winning' in Hollywood means not just power, money, and complimentary smoked-salmon pizza, but also that everyone around you fails just as you are peaking."- Rosanne Barr

Song of the Day: "Let It Go" from Frozen (winner of Best Original Song)

Athlete with the Morgan Freeman face dots of the Day: Tayshaun Prince

No comments:

Post a Comment