Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A Very Thankful Thanksgiving (and some other off the wall stuff)

Tomorrow marks Thanksgiving and I am thankful for a lot of things.  I am thankful for beginning to take care of myself.  Things got scary for a minute but I truly believe everything happens for a reason so maybe my neuropathy actually came as a warning to begin to take care of myself.  I am thankful to feel better.  I still have some bad days but mostly good.  I am thankful to my wonderful mother for helping me get through this. She won't read this because I banned her from reading my blogs so I'm sure she will hear from word of mouth.  I don't tell them enough, but thank you to my sisters for putting up with my shenanigans this year and helping me through my medical issues.  My dad is also very important in my life and without him I wouldn't be the man I am today, even though I still can't beat the guy in mercy and he lets me know.  He is the most intimidating sweet person I know and that makes him super cool.



I am thankful for my readers.  You all have seen my moods all over the map, mostly dry humor and sarcasm, but lately sad and angry posts.  This is my journal sometimes and I make it public so maybe I can make someone laugh here and there or help one person in some way.  I also like the attention and I like to share my writing talent.  I love every single one of you even the haters, because you improve my blog stats. And here's a little bit of a shuffle because I'm so happy you read!


I am also thankful for teachers sleeping with students because the blog I wrote on that subject became #1.  Here's the blog: Teachers and Sex Scandals Obviously that's my sarcasm coming in.  This is becoming a bigger and bigger problem in schools and I believe the cougar thing that is big now among teens and that along with teachers being super horny, and some teachers stuck in the still wanting to be in high school and those wanting more than what their marriage brings is a perfect recipe for these stories to pop up.  I'm not blaming either side.  I'm blaming society and the world we live in.  You can't make a teacher go look like the sub in Miss Nelson in Missing.  That's not fair to them. Yes I just referenced a children's book.  I took Children's Lit in college for a 300 level elective and I was the only male in that class which was horrible because I got called on every day because the teacher knew my name immediately.


I'm thankful for Arnold Schwartzanegger (doubt I spelled it right), and Samuel L. Jackson.  I'm thankful for being myself and being as patient as I am.  I'm thankful for my friends.  Without them I wouldn't have made it through the tough times. From the many fights about my blood sugars with Nic, to the partying at Bubba's. Even the talks with Elyse about my life at work.  Mindy saving me on the day I forgot my pump. April being there whenever I need to talk. Wow so many friends I owe a thank you to: Brad and Laura during the Halloween party for being with my while I was down, and so many more I'm leaving off but thank you all for being there and your prayers because without all of you I wouldn't be here and that's a fact.  I don't sweat the little things, and I let a lot of things go because I see the big picture and this beautiful life we are all blessed with so do something with it.  Make a difference.  Be a good person even when all of the odds are against you.  I will stop being philosophical now and get back to it:  I'm thankful for the discovery of cheese, or the invention of cheese.  I don't know what is considered to be the correct way of putting it and I'm too lazy to look it up.  I'm thankful for being cheesy.  I'm thankful for French Toast and movies that you don't want to end.  I'm thankful to have a job, and a roof over my head.  I'm thankful to make someone smile every day and I'm thankful that I'm here.  I'm thankful for God giving me a white beard. I was never able to grow a blond beard, even in my peach fuzz days. It's always came in white and that's cool.  I'm thankful for the way Breaking Bad ended.  It could have been better, but I'm glad it went out on it's own terms and didn't come to a slow death like ER or Grey's Anatomy.



I'm thankful for 25 cent wings after midnight at Applebee's even though sometimes they are super slow.  I will never a few weeks ago a few friends of mine, Justin, Jeni, Laura, Brad, and I went for the wings.  First of all I had to sit on the end chair which no one wants and I'm a big guy but I was the 5th wheel so I guess that's fine but it took forever to even order and then even longer to get the wings.  It used to be a big secret and there'd only be a few tables at midnight.  Then high schoolers learned about it and overtook Applebee's like the Swine Flu was supposed to take over America but never did.  Well during this time I hash tagged everything Jeni was wearing. I kept doing the "hash tag hoodie, hash tag PalmBeach, hash tag, pony tail," and doing the hand gestures like Jimmy Fallon and JT's segment on the Jimmy Fallon late night show which I don't know which one he's on anymore and I don't feel like looking it up.


Anyway, at Applebee's the waiter seemed to get Jeni a drink so fast it seemed he lifted his armpit up and squirted her strawberry lemonade out of the pitted area.  Anyway I said "hash tag shhhhhhhhhhhh" and did an arm movement simulating drink coming out of my pit and everyone died laughing. I know it doesn't translate well in writing but it was funny.  I'm thankful for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and Raisin Bran Crunch.  I'm thankful for pasta and elevators so I don't have to walk 20 stories.  I'm not gay but I'm thankful that those who want to be can live the way they want to and they shouldn't be judged for it.  I believe they should be allowed to get married.  I'm a republican and I am saying that.  I'm thankful for cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving because its really the only time I eat it and I'm not really thankful it comes out looking like the can but I'm thankful I get to eat it because some poor people unfortunately aren't as lucky as I am to eat such a meal tomorrow.  I'm thankful for not judging anyone and living in a world that I can live with freedoms although I still believe we should only have to put on our seatbelt under our own free will. UGH, I'm still mad about that.  And that my friends is the first time I've used ugh on a blog.  I'm thankful for The Temptations and Notorious BIG; They are the two artists I turn to when I need some chill out in my life.  I'm thankful for football, even Andy Dalton.  He doesn't need to be Tom Brady on this team.  He just needs to stop throwing picks.  I'm thankful for Bronson Arroyo.  I believe he deserves to be in The Reds Hall of Fame when he retires.  He played on good Reds teams and bad but ultimately he never missed a start in the 9 years or whatever he was on the team and he was consistent.  You knew what you were going to get out of him.


I'm thankful for John Calipari and his amazing recruiting classes, restoring UK to where they should be.  I'm thankful for technology and the improvement of cell phones and laptops and ipads so fast I am always outdated.  That makes me seem retro fast which is cool.  I'm thankful that TMNT is back to being popular among kids.  I'm thankful for NKU going D1 and snapchat.  I don't know why I use it but I do.  I'm thankful for the sun not blowing up on us, and days when the humidity isn't high.  I'm thankful for Chinese buffets and there being a Chipotle on every corner.  I'm thankful for being me and I'm tired of writing so I'm going to stop there.  I will not be doing Black Friday, not only because its hypocritical of being thankful one day only to turn around and punch someone for a crappy stereo the next, but also because I'm cool with spending 10 extra bucks to not have to wait in line.  I may hit up the 50% off everything at Old Navy though. I need some new work clothes.  My pants are shredding, and ladies as much as you'd like to see that, it is not work appropriate.


Winner of the Day: Us.  Be thankful for the life you have and don't sweat the small stuff.  The greatest gift of all is life so be thankful for it.  Live the way you want.  Gosh I'm sounding like a damn hippie but I'm being real.  You don't have long on this earth so live while you are here and be thankful for what you have.  It's better than the alternative.  If you are reading this you have internet, so your life can't be that bad, unless you bored yourself to death reading this but if you have you probably haven't read this far.

Loser of the Day: Us.  We have been tricked in our history books about Thanksgiving.  The first Thanksgiving has one surviving letter about it and it says nothing about them for sure having turkey.  The Pilgrims also were firing guns which lead to the Indians coming to investigate. Then they let them sit in.  They weren't actually guests but because the Indians helped the Pilgrims make it through the first harsh winter they kind of felt obligated to let them eat the huge feast.  The hisory books make it more of a legend that we want to believe.


Quote of the Day: “In 1492, the natives discovered they were indians, discovered they lived in America, discovered they were naked, discovered that the Sin existed, discovered they owed allegiance to a King and Kingdom from another world and a God from another sky, and that this God had invented the guilty and the dress, and had sent to be burnt alive who worships the Sun the Moon the Earth and the Rain that wets it.” 
― Eduardo Galeano


Song of the Day: "Thank You" by Alanis Morisette 

California Gold Rush Drawing of the Day: 


VCCC

2 comments:

  1. David, I know that we are all thankful for you, and the person that you have become. You are an amazing person, and you make sure we all smile every day :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete