Search This Blog

Monday, October 8, 2012

Bullying & Some Local Sports

In 2008, Jessica Logan of Sycamore High School hung herself after sending nude photos of herself to someone and he, in turn distributed the photos to classmates.  The classmates then harassed Jessica.  The teen's parents settled in a lawsuit for an undisclosed amount against the school for failure to protect their daughter.  You can read more about this story here. 

Jessica Logan

I bring this up because it reminds me how cruel school can be.  How many of you have been bullied in your lives?  There is always someone bigger and willing to pick on someone weaker than them.  I'm sure many of you reading this have bullied someone in your lives as well.  Maybe just tried to get a cheap laugh when you did it or maybe it was to feel better about yourself.  We do it because we are selfish people.  We do it because we never think about what is going on in that other person's mind.  This girl's whole world was ruined when she sent a picture to this jerk of a boy who probably whispered sweet nothings into her ear, with no real feelings for the girl at all.  He most likely promised these pictures would be between just he and her.  He probably then sent them to these other girls who passed them on to others.  She probably had the worst feeling seeing all of the eyes in the hallway fixating on her and hearing giggles as she passed.  We have all seen movies like Never Been Kissed, where the boy asks the girl to prom just as a joke to throw eggs at her as he drives by or the cruel betting game from She's All That.

Drew Barrymore as Josie Geller in Never Been Kissed

What I don't get is as a society, most of us root for the underdog.  We hate Duke and the Pittsburgh Steelers because they always win.  We hate the rich.  We love Robin Hood and David.  We hate Mr. Burns and Donald Trump, yet we always tease a kid to impress these kids who are labeled as 'cool'  because they have a furry letter on their chest with leather sleeves.  Why must we pick on people if they are different than us?  Does it really make you feel better about yourself?  No.  Maybe you will be 'cool' in someone's eyes because they will see it as funny for about two seconds.  Well, that kid you just said something to has been thinking about it all day, because he looks up to you.  He admires you.  He's different.  He plays in the band. You may not like the band but you don't have to hate him for liking them.  People die for stupid reasons in this world.  People die for believing in a different god than someone else and then people die from hate crimes, and people kill themselves for bullying.  I remember reading The Slam Book back in middle school about this school who made this book kind of like the book in Mean Girls where you put someone's name at the top and you can anonymously write whatever you want about someone underneath. 

The Slam Book by Ann M. Martin, author of The Baby Sitter's Club Series

The thing got passed on and on until a chubby girl read it and slit her wrists.  A little laugh that most people will forget about after 5 minutes isn't worth someone's life.  How could you live with that on your conscience?  I'm always nice to people because you never know how hard of a day they had.  Maybe they need someone to talk to.  I was on both ends of the bullying spectrum in high school but I beat it by laughing at myself.  If you give them nothing to make fun of you about they will stop.  Now I was a jerk to some people back then because I wanted to fit in, but I also learned from it and I stopped midway through high school.  What is the point of being popular when being mean comes with the territory?    Bullying is not something I comment on often.  I actually have never been too passionate about the anti-bullying cause or anything like that but teens can be cruel, man.  That's all I have to say and there is no reason.  Reading that story about Jessica, made me think back to some of the things I went through and I know a lot of us went through in high school so I thought I'd give my two cents on bullying.

Winner of the Day: My Cincinnati Reds!  They won the first two games of the division series after losing their ace after 8 pitches Saturday.  They had plenty of excuses not to win but came together as a team and won that one.  They followed with a dominant pitching performance by the veteran, Bronson Arroyo.  Now they can sweep tomorrow with the next three, if needed, at home.

Loser of the Day: My Cincinnati Bengals.  They looked awful yesterday in a loss to the infirior Dolphins in Cincinnati.  Dalton struggled, and turnovers were the downfall.  I should make my fantasy team the loser of the day though as I have the worst luck again (even though I don't believe in luck) because I lost again by less than 2 points.

Quote of the Day: "I've been actually really very pleased to see how much awareness was raised around bullying, and how deeply it affects everyone. You know, you don't have to be the loser kid in high school to be bullied. Bullying and being picked on comes in so many different forms."-Lady Gaga

Song of the Day: Don't Laugh At Me by Mark Wills

Non-Bullying Mean Comment of the Day:


1 comment: