Search This Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Another Diabetes Frustration Blog.

Somebody cure juvenile diabetes already, jeeze. The problem is the diabetes industry is a billion dollar business. What motivates people to cure the disease?

If you don't have it, you may not be as motivated to look for a cure because it is such a money maker but the truth is juvenile diabetes is one of the worst diseases you can have and it is under appreciated. We fight every day. We are tough. We get zero breaks and zero good night's sleep. We could take too much of our medicine and seize or pass out. If we don't take enough, over time, our organs will fail and our nerves will disturb our feet. We could die any day we don't take care of ourselves. Diabetes could be the death penalty or life in prison.

I had gotten sick from my asthma this week and had to take prednisone to help me get better. The prednisone makes my blood sugar rise and it made it go so high my meter didn't even read the number. Diabetes is scary. Every day. And it's not always my fault. Stress, exercise and even excitement can effect sugar levels. No one sees the daily grind of what we go through: constant needle pricks, needles and set changes. I laugh when I go to the doctor and they ask if I'm afraid of needles. 

I've lived with diabetes since 1997 which means I've had it longer than I haven't. Some days you just want to give up and there have been days when the disease nearly over took me. I am thankful for the support I've had in my life that help me through the tougher times. The medicine that keeps us alive keeps rising in price and it's not like we can go without it. 

And it's not fair, I'm not asking for sympathy, just an honest effort at a cure. Since 1997, when my doctor told me there would be a cure in my lifetime, there have been many false alarms but now I am beginning to believe it will never come. I believe so many dollars would be lost. If they cured it and not to mention so many diabetics how long would the waiting list be for the said cure?


No comments:

Post a Comment