Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Not my Week, Obamaphone, Breaking Bad and Boomhower

So this week started with the Bengals losing to the Browns. They looked more like the 2002 Bengals instead of the team that knocked off Green Bay just one day earlier.


Just as that tragedy was being written in Cleveland, the Reds were busy getting swept by the Pirates, the same team they would be playing in Tuesday's wildcard playoff game. They didn't seem excited nor did they look like they played with any sense of urgency. They would later fall to the pirates in that playoff game. They played, it seemed with no enthusiasm or heart and it was more of a slow death rather than the shocker that happened in last year's playoffs.  The sad part of the game was that the big money players (i.e. Phillips, Bruce, and Votto) played with what seemed like no heart.
Congratulations though to the Pirates who earned it and their fans deserved it except that one kept punching Mat Latos' wife in the back of the head which is a shame.

Let's go back to Sunday. One of my top five shows of all time went off the air, Breaking Bad. The writing on that show was spectacular and the characterization, acting and directing was second to none. Vince Gilligan, the creator's premise was to turn Mr. Chipps into Scarface and that he did over five amazing seasons. He went out on top and on his own terms which is rare for any show. The ending did solve things which is better than any 'fade to black' ending and I definitely appreciated although the final episode would not make my top 5 episodes of the show. I am still in mourning over the show going off the air. I will be sad to see it go and I'm not sure there's anything on right now that compares other than maybe Mad Men. 
Yes that is an original drawing by me with the iconic sketch from the show that I drew to the best of my abilities. As you all know my talent is writing and not drawing but that is my first career self portrait and some say I look like a love child of Hank Hill and Boomhower from King of the Hill but I believe I look pretty sexy if I do say so myself. 

Anyway, I apologize that you had to get through all that boring stuff to get to what I wanted to write about I don't normally bury the lead but I wanted you to feel all the buildup of this terrible week to get to what happened today which is a ridiculous story that may be entertaining to you so I thought I'd share it. Well for about a week or so I've been nursing a red eye. Well it was sort of in both eyes so I attributed to allergies. My doctor had me taking this over the counter allergy medicine for eyes and Zyrtec. Well I was actually taking Kroger brand Zyrtec because for some reason real Zyrtec is through the roof expensive. All medicine costs too much so don't even get me started on that. Anyway it wasn't really cleaning up my eye. It kept getting worse until it became bloodshot red. People have been asking me to get it checked out like coworkers Mindy and Mitch so finally I went to the nurse at work. Turns out I have this rare form of pink eye which in my case should be called bloodshot red eye which is highly contagious. Anyway they send me home from work and I drive to Kroger to get my prescriptions. I decided to go through the drive-thru.  First of all, the car in front of me was pulled into the drive-thru backwards. What the hell right? So I waited a mile away so they could pull out so I can pull in the right way. I know, I know. That's what she said. I finally get pulled in there and the lady said they only had my antibiotic and not my eye gel. Please don't call it a gel lady because that sounds nasty. I prefer drops. Well they said they'd have it tomorrow. I was thinking to myself "lady can't you see my eye is redder than the inside of the sun. I need it now!" I ask her to see if any other Kroger in the area has it. The Kroger in Newport has the drug. Thank God. I couldn't get off my high horse yet though. The prescription is $47. She said that she just wanted to let me know. Well thanks lady. I could go buy a video game with that kind of coin and you say it as "oh by the way." I told her I'd call and see if my doctor had any alternatives. She then preceded to check me out with the antibiotic which was only $4. She sent me a slip to sign and I go to put my debit card and Kroger card into the tube and bam I forgot to put my car in park so I moved up some. My hand held onto the Kroger card but not my debit card. By now there is a car behind me waiting to go. I have to put the car in park and get on my hands and knees looking for this card. I, embarrassingly tell the woman I lost my card. After looking for it I noticed it had fallen into this slot on this tube machine that is impossible to get anything from. The employee and her manager brought brooms and flyswaters out to try and get it, but failed. I then, with my highly contagious eye, go into 5/3 bank to cancel my card, which was stolen two weeks prior and I just got, and ask for a new one. I then go to the pharmacy and ask for them to just get my $47 prescription filled at Kroger because  I'm over dealing with all of it. So that is how my week has gone and it is only Wednesday that's not even mentioning the lingering pain and nerve problems I've been having in my hands and feet. I'm still keeping a smile though and I hope this ridiculous story made some if you laugh. Beware I'm posting my eye next but in order to get to the "of the day" section you will have to scroll past it.

Winner of the Day: The I Phone 5. I usually write these things at work but since I got sent home and my damn computer is cracked I wrote this whole thing on the Blogger app which doesn't have as many features but it got the job done!!


Loser of the Day: Obamaphone. Until my sister Laura brought Obamaphone up yesterday I did not know it existed. I could talk about government shutdown and Obamacare and all that. I have opinions but it is best I keep them to myself. Obamaphone however is crazy. They give people on welfare a cell phone and a plan. These people aren't getting the Jitterbug which is what they should be getting if this plan exists with basic features. They're getting IPhones which I'm paying an arm and a leg for and now I'm paying for theirs.

Quote of the day:
Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Song of the Day: "Fly Away" by Nelly--look it up on YouTube. I have no idea how to post it on this app.

The just give it up hair of the day:

No comments:

Post a Comment