Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

RIP Pfife Dawg

This is devastating news for me. Pfife Dawg, from A Tribe Called Quest, a fellow "funky" diabetic, died at 45 from complications due to diabetes. He had bad kidney issues and received a transplant in 2008.



It always pains me to hear news like this because I know how hard the daily struggle is. This disease is not easy and it gives you no breaks. It takes many too soon, like Pfife and comedian Patrice O'Neal (My blog I wrote about that). A battle is being fought everyday. Devin Daley and Brandon Berne along with myself know this all too well. 

Rest in Peace, Pfife. Everyone's a Q-Tip fan but to me, you were always my favorite. You were influential in the music world and the diabetes world and this world will never be the same without you in it. Lisa Emerson Masterson, mother to Ian Masterson, a recently diagnosed type 1 diabetic, told me one time, "there's just something about type 1 diabetics. They are all super nice. It's just something about them." And to be honest, every juvenile diabetic I have ever met are like the nicest people on Earth. Maybe it's because our pancreases do not secret insulin, our bodies are inundated with sugar which makes us super sweet. I actually think though, that we were chosen because we are tough. We have the ability to endure it. God made us patient. God made us kind. God made us diabetic because we can handle it. There are days we don't feel like getting up. There are days we need help from loved ones like Amy Moses, and my sisters, Laura and Sarah



The struggle is real, but life is worth fighting for. Pfife is a legend in the hip-hop world, and he passed away from diabetes. I believe there are no diabetics in Heaven and the chains weighing us down on Earth are shed once we get there. Pfife is there where he can have all the carbs he wants and doesn't have to worry again. He is missed here on Earth, but will never be forgotten. Today will be a Tribe day. I will be listening to "Oh My God" and "Check the Rhime" when I finish this post as they are my two favorites. RIP Malik Isaac Taylor.




Other diabetes blogs I wrote:

http://davidbrooks1985.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-first-week-with-diabetes-and-price.html 
http://davidbrooks1985.blogspot.com/2013/11/i-have-peripheral-neuropathy-and.html
http://davidbrooks1985.blogspot.com/2014/05/diabetes-my-battles-please-donate-to.html
http://davidbrooks1985.blogspot.com/2014/11/diabetes-awareness-month-no-shave.html
http://davidbrooks1985.blogspot.com/2014/09/20-things-only-juvenile-diabetics-will.html



No comments:

Post a Comment