Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Life throws mean curves, Wendy's overtakes the King, and eating cocaine from your brother's butt

"When life throws you a curveball, recognize the spin and swing for the fences."  Something along those lines was my senior quote in Bellevue High School's 2003 yearbook.  I was a mediocre baseball player.  I had the best average on the Freshman team, and my sophomore year I lead the JV team in infield hits somehow in with my blistering speed.
 
My junior year, I still played for junior varsity along with Joe Lay and Stu Watton.

Anyway, I was a pretty good fastball hitter.  I'm not exaggerating.  I really was decent at it.  I could make contact with a ball if I swung at it more often than not.  My strikeout numbers were always pretty low.  I remember one game against Beechwood, we were down 7 going into the last inning.  We were behind in a lot of our games but who's counting?  Anyway, I was up and I vowed to never be the last out of the game.  I had two strikes on me, so all I wanted to do was make contact.  I tipped the next pitch off of this Randy Johnson looking dude, Beechwood called the Big Unit.  It was a soft liner right over the head of the second baseman.  I then preceded to steal second and third.  Somehow that making contact lead us to rally with 2 outs to win the game.  Back to my point.  I'm telling water cooler stories here.  I couldn't hit a curveball for the life of me. I'd foul them off but I could never recognize the spin of one.  It didn't stop me from swinging though.  I swing at anything.  If you've played me in wiffleball you know this.  I'll swing if it's anywhere near. I learned to recognize the spin through practice and I grew into an okay curveball hitter.  Life isn't all fastballs you know.  You never know what's coming.  You have to see the spin of the pitch, and once you do go for it.  Swing as hard as you can.  In life, you should swing away.  You may come up empty, but swing.  You may hit a groundball to the short stop or double in the gap, but at least you gave it a shot.  You aren't one of those guys every announcer hates because you struck out looking you know.  I have struck out looking a few too many times in my past.  That's why I wrote this quote.  I thought life was full of fastballs and sure things.  You are going to get a surprise every now and then.  Just go with it.  

Winner of the Day: Wendy's.  It was announced they are going to be the number 2 burger chain, surpassing Burger King.

Loser of the Day: Deangelo Mitchell.  He was arrested and hiding cocaine in his butt.  He convinced his brother to swallow the cocaine from his butt which then killed his brother.  The headline to the story is classic which you can read here... Man Eats Cocaine From Brother's Butt, Dies.


Quote of the Day: "In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."-Abraham Lincoln

Song of the Day: It's My Life by Bon Jovi

Shot of the Day: A 15 year old Amish girl was shot and killed in a crazy accident from a rifle shot over a mile and a half away...  Read Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment