Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Bengals Trade Palmer (I called it), School Issues, Animals Escape, & Eva Longoria

I have come to the conclusion that I am single handedly responsible for the Carson Palmer trade that broke shortly after my blog was published yesterday.  Thank you Mike Brown for not allowing me to credit myself with the trade yesterday and make me patiently wait to write this today.  Anyway, I'm certain the tightwad owner of the Bengals reads my blog.  If you are a loyal reader of my blog, on Monday I predicted the Raiders would overpay and I begged Mike Brown to make the deal... Here is the passage...



Whether Mike reads my blog or not, I must say this is a win, win for the Bengals.  No longer is this cloud of Carson hanging over the team.  No longer do we have to worry about Carson randomly showing up halfway through the year disrupting team chemistry.  No longer does he matter.  The Bengals can finally move on.  The Carson/Chad era is officially over.  Embrace these new kids.  They play harder than those guys ever did. And on top of that Mike Brown ripped off the Raiders big time.  A first and a second rounder that could turn into a first for a quarterback in his 30's? Wow. And is Carson anorexic or something? Gosh he looked skinny at his press conference last night. 








Now for my take on schools nowadays.  Why do they keep changing the rules? Did we turn out that bad?  I mean in the cafeterias they took away the malts, and the slushies, and the Powerades.  Now all they have are healthy choices.  No more 30 (yep still can't find the cent symbol on the keyboard) cent chips, ding dongs, and zebra cakes.  Were we that out of shape when we graduated? 


I actually bring up schools because Ohio is trying to pass a law that requires teachers get paid on performance rather than tenure or however it is now.  I'm sorry but this isn't fair at all.  No teacher can absolutely control a student's will to try or learn.  This will spring arguments over kids and every kid will have to be ranked on a scale and divided evenly which is truly impossible to do.  Teachers will fight with their colleagues over kids with higher test scores.  The whole thing isn't fair.


And now how about this story?  Is this a real life Animal Farm with more exotic animals?  A bunch of beasts (lions, bears, and bigger animals) were loose on an Ohio farm.  It almost sounds like a prison riot.  The owner had shot a few of the beasts but he was found dead when animal control arrived.  Read about it.

Winner of the Day: Mike Brown.  Cherish this because you suck and may never win again. But you should be charged with grand larceny for that trade you pulled off.  Maybe all of that holding out actually paid off. To quote Jacob Grosser's friend, "your gm must have nudie pics of Al Davis or something."


Loser of the Day: Andre Smith.  Because when I was searching for a picture of Mike Brown on Google this photo popped up of you.


Quote of the Day: "Some fairy tales are real, but most are just stories we make up to deal with our pathetic lives." -Dakota Fanning as Lorraine "Ray" Schleine in Uptown Girls


Song of the Day: You're my Everything by the Temptations


Celebrity without makeup view of the day: Eva Longoria. You can guess which side is which.

7 comments:

  1. I realized that the ¢ disappeared from the keyboard a couple years ago. (I don't know when it left but that's when i discovered it) If you hold in Alt and type 0162 you can make the ¢ sign. This comment is not worth being identified for.
    Anonymous-0162

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tip. I will actually use your advice so now I have yet to identify
    Anonymous #2,
    Poopsoup,
    and Anonymous-0162

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit, I agree with what you say over 90% of the time in your blogs. I enjoy reading them and am quite entertained. Especially since you don't know who I am (heh-heh-heh. Put some evil in there when you read that part. BUT, and you knew there had to be a but coming right? Teachers should get paid like everyone else who's job is important. Do it well and get more. They are charged with one of the most single important missions there are!! This will give you a hint of my age. Back when I was in school, we WERE grouped according to capabilities. Each teacher taught differently because the children they taught, learned differently. Why did that change? Why is it now the teacher that comes to school at 7am to get ready to actually teach makes the same as the teacher that gets there at 7:55 with newspaper & coffee in hand getting ready to settle for a day behind his desk web browsing?????? Seriously. Do you want the guy in the next cubicle to you to get a raise because you did? EVERYONE should be graded on performance. There are ways to do it and be fair about. They did it before, they can do it again. This is part of the "I am entitled" mentality this country has fallen under. Maybe I should start a blog. I could call it "2's Views"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay sir that all makes sense, yes. But I live with two teachers and they don't get paid too much anyway. It's almost like getting paid on commission. Is that the best way to ensure your kids are getting the best education? I'm not sure any teacher does it just for the paycheck. It takes a lot of commitment to make it through college with a degree in education. And it isn't a career that pays the best. The one's who go into teaching for the summer vacations or whatever usually don't make it out of college and the one's that do never get tenured. My mother works her butt off everyday to touch just one kid. Not all teachers do, but you can't pay them based on performance. Some schools have crazy students, less supplies, less materials and how do you expect them to compete with teachers up in Indian Hill? It's not fair and they should keep the scale they have in place. Teachers won't get to genuinely make a difference in a kids' life anymore because they're constantly worried about the darn kids' test scores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudo's to your parents. I have nothing but respect for the teacher's who actually care about our youth and give more of themselves than is required. Please tell them thank you for giving a mommy hope that her child may have such wonderful teacher's as your parents.
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ashley I will pass along the message... My mother and sister will be happy to hear that there are people who appreciate it out there. My father is far from a teacher though haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a teacher, I can honestly say that not a single person that I work with went into education for the paycheck. Not one. I live in KY but issue 2 bothers me because it is simply not fair. Teachers are not all lumped together on a pay scale. I can tell you that issue 2 would only make the students suffer. Some teachers do not have access to the same materials as others so their students do not have access to the resources needed. Everyone learns differently, and at different paces. What about students who do their best on tests and assessments, but simply don't do well on them? I know a lot of very intelligent people who didn't do well on standardized tests simply because of outside factors like anxiety.
    Not to mention students with disabilities. These students work so hard every day that they are often exhausted. They deserve to be in classrooms with their peers, not moved into a resource classroom again to color; issue 2 would cause teachers to argue about who "had to take" the students with learning disabilities because their test scores may be lower-not because the teacher didn't teach them well enough, but because the student struggles with expressive writing, or has a SLD in math. You are free to have an opinion, everyone is. Teachers and schools are held to a different standard now than they have been in the past. Administrative walkthroughs are constant, evaluations are frequent, and teachers are required to show evidence of units and lessons meeting state and national standards. Teachers are not permitted to get to school 5 minutes early and surf the internet all day. I have been in a lot of school districts and I can say that I have never seen a teacher even sit behind their desks during instructional time, they can't, there's too much information to cover. School is nothing like it used to be. It's changed since I was a student. Is it perfect? Far from it. Schools are improving.

    ReplyDelete