Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fads from the 90's compared to now...Pogs to Pretty Pretty Princess, and a 100-2 basketball game.

It amazes me how fads come and go.  I was talking about pogs the other day.  Remember those things?  They were these half-dollar sized cardboard pieces with designs on one end or occasionally both.  When I was in grade school man, every kid had them.  Claw machines were filled with the things and it was intense when you played.  You could trade your pogs but that wasn't as fun.  You'd stack your pogs up with someone else's set of pogs.  You'd both have a slammer and you'd take turns slamming the stack and you went home with the one's you knocked out.  The slammer was an important accessory if you wanted to be atop the pog social ladder.  They were also designed and were heavy.  

There have been plenty of fads over the years from rocking a bowl cut which I am unfortunately guilty of to Tomogotchi pets.  Tomogotchi's were knocked off so many times, but it kept girls occupied while their little boyfriends were slamming pogs.  The 90's alone are guilty of so many fads like sporting a Trapper Keeper.  

That was a statement people made back then.  When you walked the halls with a Trapper, people knew you meant business. Beanie Babies were another fad.  Occasionally I will run into someone who still collects them.    The boys of the block got into Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter back in the 90's.  The girls were playing with Polly Pockets.  If they wanted to be active, they went out and played the skip-it.

I am guilty of trying the thing out a few times.  I was pretty good too.  You'd skip over this thing that counts your jumps.  I don't see it in stores anymore but it kept kids active.  I'm remembering the Nite Brite thing now too.  I was jealous of anyone who had one because I didn't.  I did play Pretty Pretty Princess as a child. 

I admit it, but my cousin Mikey and I would beast it up against the girl, so needless to say we were rocking lots of jewelry.  The Discman was big along with the high top fade. Pokemon was something I never got into but for some reason people did.  I was a Power Rangers guy, though.  I ate my push pops while watching American Gladiators.  I remember Tickle Me Elmo being a big deal at once too.  And I was big into Pro Wrestling.  I was too young for a pager but boy were they sweet.  MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice were big time fads.

Now I must bring up how lame we are.  Our fads now are not even cool, well except for the Throwback Jersey fad.  I absolutely hate planking.  It looks stupid and I do not get it at all.  Four Loko's were a fad but then because the young people couldn't handle them they ruined it for all of us.

Myspace was another fad that people realized was more like a playground for pedophiles rather than a social network.  Men would get on there and have a background full of butterflies, list that their favorite books are anything by Nikolas Sparks, they'd love to meet Jesus and Justin Timberlake, and their heroes were their mother and God.  Then they'd rape you.  Another fad is Justin Bieber.  His voice changed. Game over.  How about Youtube videos?  Another fad.  It remains to be seen if facebook is one.  It dies in popularity from time to time then somehow picks up steam again.  Napster, Limewire, and Kazaa....fad, fad, gay.  

The use of OMG and JK while talking online but even worse, in person.  Good God.  Livestrong bracelets are a recent fad...Hey everyone let's support an obvious steroid user who denies everything...Barry Bonds is sitting somewhere laughing at Lance Armstrong... Endzone celebrations of flamboyant wide receivers is another.  And who could forget Big Mouth Billy Bass?  

Billy Mays was big, along with that other guy who did the Sham-Wow ads who ended up biting a prostitute's tongue and getting arrested for it.  His fate is still better than Billy's.  The 90's were way cooler than our most recent decade.  I wish the Snoop Dogg speak was still going large though...FaShizzle Dizzle.  And the Snuggie....why?  I have to add this because it's the stupidest idea...I'm gonna buy a fleece blanket and pretend I'm awesome by calling it a Snuggie...now they have this product called Forever Lazy...basically a onzie for adults with a hood.


Winner of the Day: Pikeville Middle School in Kentucky.  They beat some team 100-2 in a tournament.  Now they are considering cancelling their entire season for lack of sportsmanship.  The problem is not them in my opinion.  These teams shouldn't be playing each other in the first place.  The coach told his team to stop playing defense and when your last stringers are still routing a team that's a problem with scheduling not sportsmanship.  What are you supposed to do?  They are middle schoolers.  Hey kids, don't play hard when all you preach is give your best?  I don't get why the school board is mad at the team.  Read Here.

Loser of the Day: The State of Idaho.  Besides sucking anyway, they are losing movie star Bruce Willis who is selling his home.  Poor state.  Read.

Quote of the Day: "Love makes you do crazy things, insane things. Things in a million years you'd never see yourself do" -Wicker Park (2004)

Song of the Day: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John

Villians of the Day: The foot clan.  The army of evil against the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

No comments:

Post a Comment