Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jay Grainger Poem "No Title"

This was a poem I wrote the Tuesday following Jay Grainger's passing on 9-1-02.  Since this is the anniversary of that day, I thought I would post it on here for all of his friends to read... Hope you enjoy.

Labor Day Weekend was supposed to be fun
Fireworks would erupt at the sound of a gun
Not in this small dot on the map
When 1 young boy got caught in a trap
You think all about Jay's 18 years
It'll probably give you plenty of tears.
All that was supposed to happen is he'd have a few beers
But that turned into anyone's deepest fears
I can't begin to imagine how those close to him felt that dreadful day
Its just a tradgety; there's nothing more to say
In spite of all this we gotta move on
And celebrate his life, now that he's gone
When Jay had a rage, he had the strength of 10 men
Yeah he would get mad at you and then be your friend
Jay played sports, yeah he was athletic
If you faced him in football, you'd probably need a medic
He tried his hardest on everything he went for
Whether it was taking a test or trying to score
It makes my heart feel like it's tore
It makes my mind feel like I'm poor
I remember a time in Spanish class
where he got mad, and threw a desk like a pass
but then we all just laughed at what he did
then that would make him smirk, joke, and kid
Jay was definitly not like any other
He could act like your worst enemy or act like your brother
God happened to choose him that Sunday night,
and to Heaven, he took a first class flight.
Every teenager acts like they are immortal
like they will never die, just warp through a portal
this tradgety brings us back to earth
Jay taught us all a lesson; for what it's worth
Death is just a new form of being born
You get real scared and then you feel torn
But now Jay is in a better place
Looking down w/ a smile on his face
I wasn't as close to Jay as a lot of you were
So I hope this poem doesn't cause a stir
I wish I had a chance to get to know him better
Every time I think of it, it makes my eyes wetter.

No comments:

Post a Comment